Fly!

"...lovin' you whether, whether times are good or bad, happy or sad..."

A new tradition was born last night, about 10:00 pm Winter Springs, Florida time.

Mrs. Smokey and I were cleaning up after our dinner of home made split-pea soup (first attempt...didn't turn out too bad) and listening to Seal's new "Soul 2" CD.  Great soul classics, beautifully done.

When the former Mr. Klum's cover of Al Green's classic, "Let's Stay Together" came on, we spontaneously began dancing around the kitchen, me staring deeply into her hypnotic brown eyes, falling all over again under their spell, while she giggled at me.  I didn't even bother trying to sing the lyrics...I just told her to imagine it was me singing.  That made her giggle even more.

After the song, we decided that we had a new tradition.  Every New Year's Eve, sometime prior to the dropping of the ball in Times Square (mainly because we usually don't make it to midnight, unless it's London time), we will dance to Seal's version of this song, in our kitchen, as both of a marker of time together and as a commitment to each other.

As I was out for a bike ride this morning, however, it came to me that our new tradition has even more meaning.  It was silly and spontaneous.  It was free and fun, a reminder of the importance of giving ourselves to the moment to create those memories that are the milestones of our life together.

So this simple, silly act also became another commitment to each other and to ourselves:  going forward, we will continue to move toward a life of freedom with each other.  We will jump off the garage roof with a towel for a cape just to chase our dreams.  We are confident both that we can make it and that if we don't, we'll have a friend there to laugh with, to cry with, and to support each other as we find, then chase, our dreams.  Come what may.

Knowing that support is there makes it possible to believe I can fly, no matter what anyone else (including the voices in my head) says.

Laugh if you want, but do you know who will never fly?

The man who never tries.

Here we go, baby...2013 is gonna be a helluva ride and there is no human being -- living, dead, or not yet born -- with whom I'd rather take the ride.

When:  December 31, 2013
Where:  Our kitchen
What:  Dance

It's a date.

I, I'm so in love with you 
Whatever you want to do is all right with me
'Cause you make me feel so brand new
And I want to spend my life with you...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Return to Loo Corner

Seven 7hings: To Hate About Houston