Independence Day: July 21, 1996

On July 21, 1996:

  • Bill Clinton was still in his first term as President of the United States
  • The number 1 movie in the United States was "Independence Day" with Will Smith (et al)
  • The number 1 record in the country was 2Pac's "How Do U Want It" (A side, featuring Jodeci) / "California Love" (B side, featuring Dr. Dre and Roger Troutman)
  • Robin Williams turned 45
  • We were 1,878 days away from September 11, 2001
  • My Father was still alive
  • I was a 34-year old college dropout and an underachieving Air Force Master Sergeant whose second marriage was circling the drain

And...

  • I launched on a journey to an unknown destination, that I never wanted to take, but that has changed my life in ways I never knew needed changing.

Since July 21, 1996, I have:

  • Retired from the Air Force
  • Graduated college
  • Transitioned into a satisfying, good-paying career
  • Become a published writer, including a stint as an 84-year old Southern woman named Matilda Mae Sugarbottom (of the Andalusia Sugarbottoms)
  • Hosted a sports-talk radio show, which is where the nickname "Smokey Joe" was given me by one of our loyal listeners
  • Performed stand-up comedy
  • Buried my Father
  • Moved nine times
  • Worked for eleven different employers (not counting the Air Force). OK...it hasn't all been satisfying.
  • Formed adult relationships with my adult children. Most of them, anyway.
  • Been a son to my Mother, a brother to my Sister, a father to my Children, and a man among men
  • Developed a connection with a God with whom I was able to negotiate terms agreeable to both of us
  • Married the greatest human being I've ever known

"Thank you" is so horribly insufficient but my deepest, sincerest heartfelt thanks go to some of my guides along the way:

  • Mark Bartoloni
  • Dhulkti Springhawk
  • Dr. John Doyle
  • Leo Donnely
  • Ron Raby
  • Mike Greenstein
  • Dick Bower
  • Craig Bracey
  • Richie Hayward
  • My Sister, Malinda
  • Dr. Amy Karbasi
  • Innumerable others without whose love and support, who knows what might have happened


It's been an amazing twenty years.

I'll see you again on July 21, 2036.

Peace,
Smokey Joe

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Return to Loo Corner

Seven 7hings: To Hate About Houston