Seven 7hings: About Helen


A rare guest blog today, by Diane Boeglin Mayes in honor of her long-time friend who conquered cancer and has joined the Spirit of all the loved ones who've gone on before us...

7 things you should know about my friend Helen:


1.     Helen was a renowned kitchen cleaner, particularly other people’s kitchens. I was pregnant with Charlie when my mother passed away. Helen came over and made me sit down and visit with her while she cleaned my kitchen. It was the nicest thing that anyone could have done for me at that moment. It wasn’t until later that I realized she pretty much cleaned everyone’s kitchens whenever she visited anyone.
2.     Helen is the reason that Charlie will have to marry someone who has perfected the back scratch.
3.     When I got divorced Helen was the only person to successfully stay friends with both of us. Anyone who knows us realizes this was a great accomplishment. Helen just wouldn’t let either of us lose her friendship.
4.     Helen loved a celebration. She would always buy the biggest balloon to take to the restaurant for birthdays. She even made me wear a goofy hat and sash for my bachelorette party. If you know me, you know that I only wore it because it was Helen who asked me to. She wouldn’t have taken “no” for an answer.
5.     She loved her DFW area sports. She would hoot and holler for all of the Dallas teams, as if they could hear her from our seats in the nose bleed section.
6.     My wedding to Joe was supposed to be immediate family only, due to space. That was until Helen and I went out for lunch and she said that she was family so surely, she was invited too. How could I say no? Then Helen, even though she was already sick, spent the entire reception cleaning up after everyone, finishing up the day by cleaning the kitchen.
7.     Helen was truly more than a friend. She was family. We raised our children together, laughed together, and cried together. I loved her like the sister I never had, and I will truly miss her.

And one more thing, I am pretty certain that after the celebration when she got to heaven, she was walking around picking up the cake plates and asking God if he was finished with his plate yet.

Helen Welborn was Texas: Kind, welcoming, and a backbone of steel. She was as gentle and sweet as she was resolute in her beliefs.

I thank God I got to know you just a little, Helen. Now sit your ass down and let someone else clean the kitchen for a change.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Return to Loo Corner

Seven 7hings: To Hate About Houston

A Tale of Two Brothers